That stranger's soothing words Give Me Hope.


I was sitting in a corner in the library, writing furiously in my
diary, confessing about all the frustration I felt about the badluck
and suffering in my life. As I was being torn apart deciding whether
to take the upcoming AIIMS PG exam or to choose a Job to support my
family as my father was retired from his job. A senior doctor whom I
didn't know passed by my desk, and just out of curiosity asked what I
was writing in the thick notebook. I tried to hide my work,but he
assured me that He won't look. I replied candidly that I was penning
down my frustration on all the injustice my life was doing to me.

He put a hand on my shoulder and sat next to me. Told me that the
pre-PG exam or the unavailability of job was not that much big deal to
get frustrated. There were many worse things which I should be
grateful they didn't happen to me. He sat next to me and told me his
story, how he had failed his exams twice in succession , and how he
was so broke he had to borrow money from his friends just to stay
alive skipping meals and living as low as possible. And with the third
attempt he bagged the most coveted seat of M. S. Orthopedics in Civil
Hospital Ahmedabad considered the best in India. For the next fifteen
minutes or so he told me that this was not just the only way in life.
There are a million ways other than doing M.D/M.S to succeed in life.
And there is no need of fretting over minute matters as money or time
limits. He told me the story of another doctor who did 3 years'
service in a rural area, on the fringe of a forest, where foxes and
cheetahs roamed in the night. The unavailability of electricity at
nights added to the troubles. The doctor while supporting his family
prepared for his Pre-PG in such unwholesome conditions to crack the
exams in flying colors.

Frankly speaking, to say I was moved by his speech would be an
understatement. I was grateful. Profoundly grateful, to him for
showing me the silver line. I admit, I had read such stories many
times before, and knew most of the positive things he told me. But the
topping of the cake was that he cited an example. He himself was
there, in flesh and blood, in front of me proving all the things I
pushed aside as merely Bookish stuff.

When my father retired,and it was definite that I'd have to work to
keep the ovens burning. And when the NEET results kept getting
postponed indefinitely. And when I blundered in the first 2 of my job
interviews. And when I had to spend double the time travelling in
public transport because I didn't have a vehicle. I was angry, with
God, with life, with my parents, with other people whose life I
thought was merely a bed of roses.

After this talk, (or probably with a bit of reading) my anger
subsided. I realised God was not my Enemy. He was just making me take
a few steps on my own. He was there to pick me up if I stumbled. And I
smiled.

That stranger's soothing words Give Me Hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

આકાશ ને થીંગડું મારી શકાય?

Book review "In Other Words" by Jhumpa Lahiri

Book Review: 100 Selected Stories by O. Henry