The Delhi Diaries

The Delhi Diaries.

I was scheduled to be interviewed by the 'short service commission'
board for recruitment in the Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS) on
16 may 2013 at Base hospital , Delhi Cantonment. For me, who has never
travelled beyond Mumbai in the south, and Mount Abu in the north,
Delhi was something of a faraway, Distant place.

Having heard numerous stories of its citizen's notoriety, and the
series of recent heinous crimes committed there had made a gory image
of the city in my mind. Plus, as usual there was this 'fear of
unknown' before venturing into an unaccustomed place.

For me, this trip was more of an adventure trip than an official one.
Because, it has always been my wish to go on a hitch-hiking trip in an
uncharted sea, trying to visit places on my own. Taking risks and
getting to know the local world with my own eyes and experiences. This
interview provided me with an excuse to indulge in the much longed for
wish, at the same time making my parents to agree on my plans.

But Delhi is not the ugly face what is shown in the Tv by our TRP
craving, attention seeking media. It is Beautiful. And I say
profoundly beautiful. You know, the 7days I stayed in Delhi, I fell in
Love with her. I say HER, because Delhi is not just a town. Its a
personality in its own self. Delhi, as famously spoken, is really "
Dil walon ki Dilli " (दिल वालों की दिल्ली )

I had had a few prejudices against this city before I embarked on the
journey, but when I really went on the streets, I saw something
different. Entirely opposite to the common notion. The people in Delhi
are not as Shrewd, Belligerent or Conceited as it is told by our peers
and elders. I have had many an experiences of people's kindness in
this town which has made a glittering image of India.

Reaching Sarai Rohilla station on 15 may, I was received by a really
nice family, the Makwanas. Provided food,shelter, and most of all,
mental support to someone so naive, and a stranger.
That night, before dozing off, I thought something like this-

एक ख्वाब सजाकर आया हूँ दिल्ली में ।

कई उम्मीदें लेके आया हूँ दिल्ली में ।

खुद को खुद की दुनिया से ,

एक जंग जिताने आया हूँ दिल्ली में ।
(link to fb status)

If I talk about places , I think I would fall short of words to
describe Delhi. As my original plan didn't include sight seeing, I
didn't make much of a Travel. But I did a bit of wandering around.
Trying to make the most of my stay in the capital. And that wandering,
though unplanned and haphazard, provided me one of the best experience
in life. During this roaming around, I tried as much as I could, to
behave as a native Delhi-ite instead of the cliche Traveller version.
I took the Metro card, hopped on and off the DTC Buses, walked,ran,
jogged, even haggled over the fare of the Cycle-Rikshaw in the Delhi
style.


Going chronologically, the Day 1 was dedicated mostly to the Army
College of Medical Sciences. (ACMS). As I took the बाहरी मुद्रिका
(Outer Ring Road) bus from Saket to Cantonment, I penned down this
poem. (link)
.
.
.

इतनी सजी है, थोड़ी और संवर जा ।
आ दिल्ली तू मेरी रगोँ में उतर जा ।
एक और न कीडा बन जाऊँ इस जंगल में
कोई एक अनूठा जादू तू कर जा ।
हैं रज तरबतर तेरी प्रतिमा दूषित ;
चल मेरे संग थोड़ी तू भी निखर जा ।
.
राज नगर तू.
ह्रदय नगर तू ,
एक अंश रुजुता मुझ पे भी बिखर जा ।

इतनी सजी है, थोड़ी और संवर जा ।
आ दिल्ली तू मेरी रगोँ में उतर जा ।.
.
Reaching the ACMS, happened to have the first of the many nice
experiences. A lady who was an employee there,helped me get to the
base hospital by sharing a rikshaw with me. And when the interview was
over, she came to inquire how did I fare in the interview....
.
The venue was beautiful. I never had thought a government building
could be this beautiful ! The interview process was, Mashallah ! The
armed forces people are really deserving applause. They'd managed the
procedure so nicely , every detail perfect. From the 'direction
showing boards', to the sequence of questioning, to the detailed
Powerpoint presentation and banners regarding the process and the
career in Indian Armed Forces, to the free Snack coupons, and the
drinking water, restroom facilities. Each and every detail filled one
with a grace..

Then there was my first ever experience of Metro. Having the system
map printout already in my hands made the going easier. By trial and
error, and with other people's help, I made my way around Connaught
place, Central Park and then Back to home where I was staying.

Day 2 in Delhi, I went to the famous Chandni Chowk, then the Red Fort,
followed by Shanti Van, Shakti Sthal, and Raaj- Ghat.
The CC looked almost like the Lal- Darwaja in a.bad. People, people
everywhere. Shops shops everywhere. The Lal Quila was as expected, a
journey into Moghul architecture. The layout, the lawns, the Mahals,
the covered Bazaar (first ever mall in the world !) the Deevan-e-aam
and Deevan-e-khas, the position of Mayurasan, and the Mumtaz Mahal,
which later served as a Jailhouse, and now a home of exhibits. All
were awesome.from the fort, across the road one can see the series of monuments of
our national leaders and presidents. We entered first into Shanti Van,
the Memorial ground of Shri Jawaharlal Nehru, a large area of
manicured gardens, looking like an oasis in the heavily polluted city.
Sitting there, one could sense the smell of pure air. The greenery
everywhere cooled one's eyes... Nearby there was the memorial of Shri
Sanjay Gandhi. A few meters ahead, in equally crafted lawns lays the
Memorial Stone of Shrimati Indira Gandhi. And then a few yards ahead,
Shri Rajiv Gandhi.

Shanti Van

Then came the most important spot in my circuit. The Raj Ghat. The
memorial complex is really big for walking, with its winding walkways
and tiny hills, I walked all the distance to and around the memorial
only to find one stupid Security yelling at me : 'aaj Band hai ! ' I
felt so dejected ! But still coming so close to the monument was no
less an experience, so I came back sulking. After this as we decided
to head back home, the expectedly unexpected happened. I got separated
from the Guy accompanying me. The next hour was wasted in trying his
cell, and calling his parents to tell them their sons heroics of
crossing the Metro tracks in between the platforms. This probably was
my worst experience in Delhi, which was inflicted not by a stranger,
but a fellow Gujarati. Irony.
The next day, I shifted my bags to a friend's apartment in Karol Bag.
And with is otherworldly generosity, I settled myself in.
That night we visited India Gate and the Raj Path. Its a pity the Gate
was not open to visitors then. So we just strolled on Rajpath
savoring the Icy Chuski sold there.
As for any visitor to Delhi, The Akshardham is a must. For which I
dedicated a separate post on the blog. (Link.)

Next day was for Taj Mahal and Mathura Vrindavan for which again a
specific post is deserving.
And there was a day dedicated to visiting Qutub Minar, Jantar Mantar And Metro museum @ Patel chowk, which is chronicled Here

The last day in Delhi, I targeted the famous National Museum of Modern
Arts. Bad luck again, the entry was closed due to power failure, and I
wasted precious 3 hours waiting there. Failing which I headed ahead
towards the Heard off Gandhi Smriti. The memorial, not shown in the
tourist maps was really hard to find. I made many detours and wrong
turns while walking on the directions given by people. Mostly the
uniformed men of security or police services on the road. But the
detours were not wasted, I happened to visit the memorial of Shri Lal
Bahadur Shastri. A museum set in the original bungalow in which he
resided. Saw his personal artifacts and affairs. The visit was
worthwhile,because I knew very little about him before I came there.

The last spot was Gandhi Smriti. The place where the Father of Nation
was shot dead. There is the replica of his last steps from his room to
the end of his life. The museum, a breathtaking world of wonders is a
feast to the eyes. And ears. And heart. The multimedia exhibitions
there are ready to take your mind off, with the numerous LCD displays
and interactive informative instruments. The whole museum overflows
with science and technology, and fun ! I never could imagine a museum
could be so fun to visit.

The last steps...



inside............

As I came back to the HOME, and started to pack my bags, I had a sense
of belonging there. A sense of 'not-wishing-to-go' I felt Delhi had
imbibed so wholly inside me , that I didn't feel like leaving. But as
they say, every good thing has to have an end. And so this trip ended
too. With my taking the last trip in the auto to Tees Hazari to take
the bus to Ahmedabad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

આકાશ ને થીંગડું મારી શકાય?

Book review "In Other Words" by Jhumpa Lahiri

Book Review: 100 Selected Stories by O. Henry